Monday 15 October 2012

The Weight



I lost 24 pounds.  What a weird turn of phrase that is – ‘lost’ – as if I’d somehow accidentally misplaced it and might one day be pleasantly surprised to find a greasy bucket of abdominal fat abandoned behind the laundry room door!
 
Now, if there is anything more boring than listening to someone talk about his diet, which I seriously doubt, I don’t want to hear about it and neither do you.   My 'lard rendering plan', as I dubbed it, consisted of a hell of a lot of work and not so much restraint, as a new-found selectivity at the table, eschewing what Michael Pollan calls ‘foodlike substances’ for real food.

I didn’t do it alone.  I enlisted a personal fitness trainer who saw to it that I put in the miles morning and night.  And what she lacks in credentials, she more than makes up in enthusiasm.  Best of all, she works for kibble and an occasional scratch behind her floppy ears.  Thank you, Ginny.  You’re the best!


I have no idea how many miles the two of us walked and who cares?  The proof of the pudding is that I no longer look like one.
 
So, you’re probably thinking: okay, big deal!  You lost some weight.  Lots of people lose lots of weight.  Some of them do it lots of times.  Indeed.  

What intrigues me is why it happened now, not last year or the year before that.   All I know is that ‘the head bone’s connected to the neck bone...'   It’s a mind-body thing.  Trust me on this.

1 comment:

  1. Shoot, Powell, you make me SICK, I'm so jealous.... :-( [grumble, grouse]

    ReplyDelete